Monday, October 02, 2006

Sunday's ride to Ste Gen turned out really well. We had a cozy group of four as Jose's last minute efforts to make it to the ride didn't pan out.

Temperatures were great with not a cloud in the sky. The only down parts were a flat as we pulled into the first rest stop and an unexpected closed gas station in Ste. Gen that caused us to ride just a little further up the road.

Except for one pissy motorcyclist who apparently didn't like our single-file riding we didn't have any troubles with cars and the one section of gravelly road we had last year because of road construction was smooth as butter this year. In fact, most of the roads were really nice. Hwy 67 could be better and there was short, poor stretch in Festus where I got my flat. We even had a freshly paved section south of Prairie du Rocher. Not having chip and seal shocked me.

I started cramping pretty bad around Maeystown up to Valmeyer. After that the cramps subsided some but started to creep back in the last 5 or so miles. Thirty km's/h seemed to be the cutoff. Below that I could ride without much cramping. Above that and I would tighten up pretty good.

In the world of pro cycling, my worst nightmare came true. I held out hope that Bettini would show some class with his kit at the first race after winning his World Championship title. The man was an utter mess, an abstract splattering of color reminiscent of a Jackson Pollack painting.

Time prevents from commenting further.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bike Drool said...

I talked to Justin the other day. Sounds like I should have gone, and sucked it up! Glad you guys had a fun day.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you has a great day i always hate those pissy motorcyclists when out on a ride you always have someone who has to try and spoil it.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home