Monday, October 16, 2006

The weekend was fruitful. Saturday we did a slightly modified Ronde van Monroe over in Monroe Co. IL. We had a chilly start as Patrick took his newly cast-free hand out for a spin. Arm and leg warmers were required but the day was still comfortable enough and got better as the temps slowly rose. We were pretty leisurely and the ride was quite nice despite a head wind on the way back. What else do you expect in the winter time.

Sunday brought the area's first 'cross race of the year. Bubba #1 was at Creve Coeur Park. Creve Coeur has produced some difficult courses in the past couple years but this wasn't so bad. The course was dry and the omnipresent tricky section around the shelter was not included this year.

We started with a short pavement section by the previously mentioned shelter before heading onto the dirt. The stampede of bikes kicked up a good amount of dust and made me regret even more my lackadaisical approach to the start of CX races. I lined up at the back and then got a sucky start for good measure. After literally eating everyones dust through the first two hairpins it was time to start picking people off and moving up.

I got one, maybe two guys, before hitting the sharp gravel turn at the far end of the course. From then on it was pushing hard but biding my time for the right opportunity to pass. After 4 or 5 laps I pretty much found my place. There was no more gaining ground on the guys in front and I was holding those behind at comfortable distance, but not so much that I could let up. The posted results scored 16 guys (not sure if that included DNF's) and I finished 8th. Not bad, but about what I normally do. I need to be more aggressive at the start and give myself a shot at a better finish. I'm not good enough to work my way out of the hole I always dig myself.

Observations: The course was good. Not very technical but it offered a few challenges. Particularly, the gravel turn was tricky.

In the B race, Hemmer was strong. He's made good progress from last year at this time. Craig F. and Jose had surprisingly sub-par rides. Craig complained of high tire pressure and Jose I'm not sure. He didn't hang around. He had a good start but within a few laps he was well off the pace. That's unlike him struggle so much so maybe he hasn't been riding much.

In the A race, Ryan was his typical self and opened up the gap early and kept it. Kurt looked good. Hairdoo hung tough, Jack was good early and faded a bit at the end. Dr Mark came good at the end and Ethan struggled much more than I expected before eventually rolling his rear tire. Blame the new Labor Power jersey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home