Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tonight I plan to start the process of gluing my tubulars.  The tires have been stretching on the wheels for a while now and hopefully will be a bit easier to mount after the glue has been applied. 
 
This should be interesting.  Despite what I have read from most people, I am actually going into this thinking I can successfully mount the tires the first time without making a big mess.  Positive thinking!

On a related note, the disk wheel for my TT project arrived yesterday looking all pretty and smooth and black.  If only it makes me fast(er).  Looking at the size of the valve cutout, I think my usual 48mm valves will be difficult to inflate.  On the way home, I just might stop stop at a shop, buy a standard inner tube, throw on an old tire and give the wheel a spin around the school's track.  Oh yeah, a cassette would be helpful too.  As much as I would like to give the wheel a spin, I am more anxious to glue up the tubulars since that will take longer.  The disk wheel may have to wait a few days.

Random observations:  Why are car tires not sold in different colors?  Colored tires seem rather popular in the bike biz.  It must be an issue of manufacturing cost but I tend to believe that there is a niche market that would pay a premium for such an item.
 
More than a few hours of my weekend were wasted watching the US Open.  A golf match can often provide some good post-ride TV viewing.  It is relaxing and can often induce a nice little nap, much like a flat stage of the Tour de France.  But, I digress.  There are a few things about golf that need to change.  Oddly, none of them involve the actual game of golf.  These changes are...
1)  During major championships, when the networks have extended coverage, there is no need to show Tiger Woods hitting balls on the practice tee.  Yes, he is the best player in the game but I seriously doubt that the viewing public is jonesin' to see practice swings an hour before he actually tees off.
2)  Spectators really need to stop yelling "In the hole" after shots.  Do they actually believe the ball is going in the hole?  They cannot possibly think that their exhortations can will the ball into the hole.  Can they?  You would think the fact that a shot actually goes in the hole approximately .1% of the time might cause folks to stop making the bold proclamation but, it does not.  Even more stupid is that they yell "In the hole!" a quarter second after the ball is hit when the big mouth has no idea what the shot is going to do.  My only guess is that they continue the practice only so that when that one, magical shot happens to drop into that 4.25 inch opening, they can tell their friends how they knew it from the moment the golfer hit the ball.
3)  This is closely related to #2.  If you are going to make an arse of yourself with how you cheer, at least know what you are cheering about.  Sunday afternoon Tiger was somewhere around the 13th hole.  He had hit his tee shot into the rough and selected a club that would make it hard to reach the green.  I can understand the fans not realizing that fact.  Tiger hit the ball and, for a change, the crowd was restrained in their cheers and applause... except for one nimrod with a shaved head.  Standing directly behind Tiger in full view of the cameras, this dork promptly curls his arms up to his chest, both hands making a fist while bending at the knees and waist and yelling "Yeah!!! Yeah!!!" so loud that he was drowning out everyone else.  Unfortunately, this genius made a spectacle of himself over a shot that landed in the rough again and well short of the green.  Get a clue!
 


The i'm Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves. Learn More

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, the "In the hole!" *holes are what keeps me from watching golf...I only watching the Euro tour for that reason...well that and because I am an effete snob.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home