Thursday, December 29, 2005

Last night attempt at adjusting the rear derailleur was maddening. I started fresh and the result was continually not being able to set the outer limits of the chain. I would set it up, tighten the screw that holds the wire. Then I would shift up and then it would not drop back down. Again and again, the same thing happened. With each failure my temper grew. I cursed under my breath, slapped the brakes and generally headed for a major blowup. If I hadn't been inside I would have likely done a Bjarne Riis bike toss.

Down to my last frazzled nerve I gave one more try. Voila! I must have done something different because now it would drop to the smallest cog. And then, miracle of miracles, my barrel adjustments seemed to get the shifting to the point where it was not skipping gears and generally screwing up in any number of ways.

This morning I thought it would be good to take the bike for a ride and see how it worked in on the road. I bundled myself up in 3 layers and all the usual winter gear, walked in to get the bike and remembered I need to get pedals. I'm such an idiot. At that point I did not want to mess around with swapping pedals so I took the 'cross bike.

I had no route in mind so I crossed the Meramec on 21 and took W. Outer 21 to Old 21 to W. Rock Creek out to High Ridge and back on Hillsboro-Valley Park and through Fenton. The weather was brisk. Temps in the upper 30's, cloudy skies and occasional spitting rain. Sounds unpleasant but the riding was not so bad.

Along the way I did some exploring. For years I have ridden past the road going into Paradise Valley Golf Course because I was under the impression that the course was the only thing in there. Today I rode in to check the road out and it is really kind of nice. Good roads and when you get in far enough there are a few subdivision streets. Too bad all the roads do not lead anywhere or I would go in there more often.

Today's damage: 2:30 of riding mostly in the 42x13, but I shifted to a little easier gear on a couple hills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home