Monday, February 06, 2006

My weekend sucked for riding. My usual Saturday ride wouldn't happen because I had to help at work with the move of our 1,000 lb gorilla of a printer. Still, I had some hope that if things went really well I could get a little trainer time in the afternoon. I clocked in at 7:40am and was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the move went. By 2pm, including a lunch break of Imo's pizza, we were ready to fire the big boy up and get out of Dodge. We were ready to do that but the printer gods had other plans. Our Xerox serviceman plugged in the power cord, flipped the switch and one of the internal fans started. That's all that started. No lights, no whirring, none of the other usual noise that the beast of a machine makes. The printer was eerily comatose, minus the one fan, but there was no bad smells or smoke or any other really bad signs. He turned the printer off and thought for a minute. First rule of troubleshooting... check the power. He puts his voltmeter on the outlet and got about 205 volts. Not what he expected and his guess was the new connection was wired as 3-phase 220, and we needed single-phase 220.

We called our boss, who called the electricians, who called us. We explained and then he called some of his men. Then he called some more. Then called some more. Finally, he got someone to drive up north to check out the situation. Sure enough, the electrical was setup incorrectly. I won't assign blame because I don't what the specs called for, but the fix was relatively easy.

It was time to test the printer again. And with great fanfare, the same fan started. No more, no less. Our printer tech, started diagnosing the problem again and determined that one of the components got messed up when the wrong voltage was applied earlier. He was able to have one of the other techs pick up the part from Fenton while he worked on removing the part. The part eventually got replaced. The printer was started and... the same fan started and that was all that happened. Time for more diagnosing and it was guessed that the printer's power supply was fried but they would have to take it down to their office in Fenton and test it on a test machine. An hour and half later they return with a new power supply to replace the one that was shown to be cooked. Finally, the darn thing fired up and worked like a charm.

A Giuseppe Fullerini-like 15 hours later, I finally headed home.

Sunday I was up early, chatted with an old online friend for a while and headed off to church. Afterward, I ate breakfast and was still tired from Saturday and layed down for a nap. A couple hours later, at noon, I groggily crawled out of bed. I had no ambition at all. I did nothing. There was the occasional thought of riding for a while but I had no energy. Saturday was a long day but I wouldn't have expected it to mess up Sunday too, but it did. Oh well, I won't worry about it.

Viewpoint: Thoughts while watching the Super Bowl... Aaron Neville sucks. The whole national anthem sucked. The Super Bowl is a nauseatingly commercialized, over-produced, over-hyped pile of crap. The Seahawks jerseys are ugly. The Rolling Stones should be quiet. Retire. Please! Paul Tagliabue's presentation of the Lombardi trophy couldn't have been any stiffer. Good move by Bettis to retire on top.

Thoughts about the game one day later... Seahawks fans are a bunch of whiny pansies. Contrary to many expressed opinions it was not the worst Super Bowl ever. It was not great, or should I say Super, but most Super Bowl's are not. It was a game. A game like many NFL games. I will gladly watch a Super Bowl like this than a 45-10 blowout. There was an ebb and flow to the game and at several points either team could have seized control. That works for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home