Wednesday, August 23, 2006

After missing the last couple Tuesday Worlds I figured it would be good make an appearance and make my donation. I've been racing for a good long time. After a while you learn what you can do and what you cannot do. One thing that I cannot do is start races quickly. Especially at a World's race since I usually finish eating about 45 minutes before we start. My insides don't appreciate going aerobic on a full stomach with 5 minutes of warmup.

Despite my lack of interest in a fast start there always is some testosterone-infused young buck full of vim and vigor that decides there is no better time to attack than the starting horn. Normally the attack means nothing and everyone gets reeled in a lap or two later.

Last night was no exception as three guys opened up a gap on the pack. As we approached the hill, Marbarger began to make his attempt to bridge up to the leading three. I sat on the outside of the pack and watched as Jay made his move. I clearly remember thinking "It's the first lap. Don't do anything." The pack looked disintered and set a normal tempo. I, however, went into a full on Cat 5 panic mode and accelerated up the hill in an attempt to close about 40 ft on Jay. No problem.

Half a lap later I am gasping for air and all those years of experience came flooding back to me. Sometimes it is good to re-learn an old lesson.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

I can totally relate. I even do this in cross races!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home