Friday, August 25, 2006

Thursday I went for a rare ride immediately after getting home from work. I went to the Bottoms and did a series of 5 minute intervals. Got a little better each time. I like that. My warmup was on the short side so I'm not terribly surprised that I got a bit better as the ride went on.

I give props to Phawley for catching this story before I did. I'm a VDB fan for some unknown reason and continue to root for his return to the top of the peloton in the Spring Classics. The guy has gone off the deep-end, I fear, as this story reveals...

"The latest story on Frank Vandenbroucke, once an exceptionally strong talent in Belgian cycling, truly makes one wonder. After the pro peloton waited in vain for his come-back this spring, VDB is now reported to have participated in several amateur races in Italy. Not under his real name, of course, nor in the colours of Unibet.com.

Italian Gazzetta dello Sport on Thursday published photos of Vandenbroucke racing in an Italian 28-32 years category race wearing an ordinary blue jersey, and claims that he used a license under the name Francesco Del Ponte showing, moreover, the photo of... Tom Boonen!"

That story almost leaves you speechless. Couldn't VDB have found a more anonymous person Boonen? Good Lord, what are you thinking Franck! Did the drugs kill that many brain cells? This reminds me of Michael Vick and his "Ron Mexico" alias.

Since I am, ashamedly, a VDB fan I am declaring this the Unofficial Franceso Del Ponte website. If you should happen to spot Francesco at your local race, at the grocery store or banging a hot chick send your photo or story and your humble blogger will post it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home