Monday, October 24, 2005

Bubba #3 was Sunday at Faust. I got there a little early and helped with the last bits of course setup. In walking the course I like what I saw. A couple places were narrow but for the most part it was nice and wide. Surprisingly, the course was also lacking many switchbacks or tight turns. For the most part it was sweeping turns and with the exception of tighter turn there was nothing more than 90-degrees. One off camber turn at the base of a short 20 ft rise seemed to claim several victims but I had no difficulties. I found it to be a fun, flowing course. Maybe it was the design but there seemed to be a lot of good racing in all the races. Often these races turn into solo efforts but I saw many packs of two, three, four men swapping attacks and pushing each other. Lots of good action for the spectators.

The Good I rode much stronger than expected given my lack of time on the bike. I was aggressive, accelerating out of corners to try make others hurt, passing when I sensed the rider ahead slowed. Most satisfying was my charge after the start. After rounding the barn I was in bad position. Everyone was strung out single file so I shifted down, got out of line and went for it and must have passed 10+ riders before the short paved section on the parking lot. That move was key to a decent finish.

Also good to see was the turnout. We had 30(?) guys in the B race. Thats terrific compared to the last couple years. Sixteen in the A race too, which was larger than normal. The C's had a nice turnout as well.

The Bad My start. I started in the fourth row and for a variety of reasons I was near the back after going through the gravel section. BAD BAD BAD. The other blunder was after the barrier. I hopped back on and for some reason I veered right on the downhill and I wasnt able to correct. I went into the tape and pulled a stake out of the ground. After extricating myself from the tape I had lost a few positions but got up to speed and re-passed the riders.

The Ugly I didn't witness the ugliest moment but was part of it. The bell lap started with me leading another Shark (Pat) and a guy in a red jersey with whom I had been battling most of the race. We left the parking lot and headed into the trees when there was the whoosh-whoosh-whoosh of someone out of the saddle and pushing hard. I started the left turn around the first tree when I hear brakes and someone make a gutteral noise, followed by the sound of a bike running into the tree. What the hell? Not a smart move. I didn't look back, partially because I was busy with the other guy on my wheel and partially because I feared the carnage. Post race reports were that he was okay. Thank goodness. I don't want to see anyone getting hurt out there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

I liked the course too. I wish it was a little less bumpy but that's cross and I have to learn to deal with it and find the best lines sooner. You looked pretty strong, good job.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home