Saturday, April 01, 2006

Okay, I'm late getting my Flanders picks out there but here goes. In the real race, teams have eight riders so I will do the same but will give a couple teams. The first is riders that I think could win. If you've read anything about the race you already know the pre-race favorites. The only limit I'm putting on myself is no more than 2 guys from any real team. This keeps me from loading up on Quik-Step and Discovery riders as they both seem to be loaded. T-Mobile looks pretty strong too.

For the second team, I put another limitation on myself. None of Team Two's riders can have finished in the top 10 at Flanders before.

Without further ado, here are the teams.

Team One (the favorites) in no particular order: Boonen, Bettini, Hincapie, Hoste, Van Petegem, Van Bon, Klier and Ballan. If I had a ninth spot I'd put Ivanov. For all the Boonen hype, my gut is telling me Klier. He seems really confident and he has improved every year and since he finished 2nd last year... well, you do the math. I'll say Boonen second and Hincapie third. George scares me because of his low-key racing schedule so far but I'm playing a hunch that he has been playing it cool.

Team Two (non top 10 finishers in the past): Flecha, Eisel, Celestino, Elmiger, Devolder, Pozzato, Astarloa and Zaballa. My alternate would be Gilbert.

Then an unofficial group of longshots that I throw just for the heck of it. I guarantee that none of these guys were on any pre-race list. These are guys I just want to keep track of for the hell of it. Meirhaege, Franzoi, Scheirlinckx and Vandenbroucke. I can't help it, despite all his doping problems/allegations in the past, I like Vandenbroucke and am pulling for him to have a really strong showing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Hincapie said most of the right things but, yes, I think Leif got a piece of George's mind in the team bus.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home