Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My weekend riding pretty much sucked. More specifically, more lack of riding sucked. My early morning Saturday ride was rained out and then when it dried out, well, I didn't want to ride. Sunday was rainy early and then I was called into work at 11:30 and got home at 6pm. Forty-five minutes later I was trying to call I.T. people to let them know we were having problems at work again. At 9pm, everything was pretty much fixed but companies were calling looking for their files.

At midnight, I finally fell asleep. At 3:45, the companies were calling again looking for more files. AAAARGGHH!!! I spent 40 minutes dialed-in from home, trying to resolve the problem before saying "Screw it". I drove in to work early so I could more easily work.

I was tired by the end of my shift. I had been up for 30 of 34 hours and naturally I had to stay an hour of overtime to fix one more problem.

Enough of my griping. I went to the Tuesday Worlds because I really needed some riding before Gateway Cup. For the most part I just sat in the pack but the first 17 minutes seemed really quick last night. Then it settled down and became a standard Worlds race. With three laps to go there were still a couple riders up the road. I was mid-pack approaching the hill and nothing was happening so I tried to liven up the field. I attacked on the right along the curb. A Clubber must have been on the front and began drifting back. Unfortunately, he was also drifting more and more toward the curb. There was no braking at that point. I gave a little "Hey!" and flew by, bumping elbows and shoulders along the way. He wasn't too happy with the bump but there was nothing else to do. Trust me, brother, I dislike contact as much as you.

Anyway, my attack did pick up the action. Miguel was gapped but pulling the strung out pack hard, back up to and past me with 2 to go. I blew myself up with that move but was glad to see the leaders got caught and Joe H leading everyone up the hill. He took 2nd in the sprint but it looked like he sat up a little.

The Vuelta started this past weekend and today the climbed the first of the mountains. So far, DiLuca is having the race he didn't have at the Giro. He won today's stage and leads on GC. Discovery appears to be having the race they didn't have at the Tour. Danielson and Beltran have been solid but THE guy for Discovery today was Brajkovic and finished 2nd today and is the same on GC. This guy finished 5th at the Tour de Suisse, too. This might well be Discovery's man of the future. I'd never really seen Brajkovic before but he is a tiny twig and somehow makes Danielson looks semi-big.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Joe took 5th, I believe. He sat up upon realizing that the win was not his (of his choice or he who took first, I do not know). Following the sit up with 15ft to go, 4 people sprinted past him on either side. He looked at them with a furrowed brow. Now they can say they "beat Joe HIll in a sprint". ;)

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home