Saturday, September 02, 2006

One down, three to go.

Lafayette Square got the Gateway Cup off to quick start again this year. Same basic course as year's past. The finishing stretch was narrowed down more than usual and earlier than usual but that was the only difference. We also started later at 7:30 so we were "under the lights" for almost the entire race. That was my first night race. The shadows were less confusing than I thought they would be. From the sidelines, they always looked confusing but maybe you are focused on the racing and don't notice smaller things like shadows in the heat of battle.

As usual, all the riders lined the sidelines waiting to jump into a good starting position. I snagged a mid-pack position. The whistle sounded and, uncharacteristically, I moved right through the field. Between turns 3 and 4 I was top 5 and enough throttled back a little to keep from being in the very front and wasting too much energy so early. I came across the line in 7th or 8th and was feeling good.

Lap 2 was good too as I held position pretty well until the 4th turn when the bike started handling oddly. Soon enough the ride became harsh and the tire was flat. I rolled into the wheel pit, and got the neutral support wheel provided by SRAM. The wheels were Zipp 303's. That was my first time on a Zipp and I will say that they seem like a really nice wheel. Not so nice was having to go to the back of the pack when let back into the race.

I was patient, picked my spots, and moved up steadily but never was in as good a position as those early laps. I'm sure, with some aggression, I could have been further up. Oh well, there are three more days to try and redeem myself. Aaron got a nice 6th place as the best Shark. Unfortunately, Ted got tangled up in a late wreck and apparently broke his collarbone. Get well Ted.

Oh yeah, I finished 58th out of the 125 man field. Can you say "Pack Meat"

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

They had 404s (at least the 9spd Shimano I got was). I flatted during warmup just before the race started, so my first corner with a DeepV carbon wheel was turn one of the race...and interesting, yet accelerated, lesson in this new fangled technology! ;)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Did you like?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I did like, but (a) I'd prefer to spend $1750 on something else and (b) the tubies are 1292g and the clinchers are 1672g. I race a set of clinchers which were used for $300 which weigh 1331g, though not as aero, carbon, as cool looking, and DO NOT sound cool when sprinting.

And, yes, Aaron, I did purposely get out of the saddle a few times during the race _purely_ to hear the rear wheel groan! ;)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home