Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Tuesday's race proved to be difficult. The wind was strong and the front guys drilled it from the gun. People were lined out in the gutter and hoping for any kind of draft. That seemed to go for 3, maybe 4 laps, before the race finally settled into a more reasonable pace. That didn't keep me from almost bringing some of dinner about 12 minutes in.

Eventually I moved forward in the pack and saw a dangerous looking break forming about 60ft up the road. I went for it and caught on to the tail end as we went around the first turn. I read the break right and we quickly had a big gap. The temptation was to just sit on and try to enjoy being in a winning break but I put in a couple pulls. The second happened at the bottom of the hill. When it started I knew I was going to be in trouble at the top. Looking back, it would have been better to back off the pace but I tried to keep it relatively high. Joe came through after me and I didn't have the recovery. After popping, I looked back and saw no one. We had a full straightaway gap.

The remainder of the race was just getting in some miles. Stomach cramps began to set in at the very end and I pulled off with 3 to go. There wasn't much point in torturing my stomach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home