Saturday, June 24, 2006

Decisions, decisions...

I was torn about what ride to do today. On one hand, I thought it might be good to head to Fenton and put in a good hard effort or two along the River and Outer Rds. Instead, I rode to Webster. I've missed the previous Webster races and don't like racing on an unknown course so this was a reconnaissance ride.

On the way out I went Sappington, Garber, some subdivision streets, through Whitecliff Park, Pardee, Elm and Big Bend. A nice ride of about 35 minutes. I lingered in Whitecliff for a few minutes because I saw the potential of a nice CX race. I mentally mapped out a potential course and continued on.

The Webster course is different than I expected. I pictured more of a rectangular course instead of the skewed pentagon shape. I'm glad I went to check things out. I also imagined a flatter course. There is no big hill but a long gradual rise that could wear on a person if it is consistently hit at a hard pace. The course is also rather choppy in places. There is the assorted manhole cover. That's not a big deal. The road between turns 1 and 2 is rough, especially on the right and a nice sized hole dead center in the road, too. Maybe that will be covered somehow. Turn 2 has a couple brick crosswalks that make for some unevenness and the narrow turn 3 has a rough little patch too. Big Bend isn't so hot either going east. With any luck they open all of Big Bend up and we can stay left.

I did four laps of the course before checking out places to park. As I was about to leave Dan "there is a German beer named after me" Bischoff in his new The Hub shorts, Rusty My-Pizza-so-late-o and Nick Coil were taking a few laps too. I guess that was Nick Coil. I'm really bad about getting to know my competitors and I didn't even ask his name. Anyway, I did another 5 or 6 laps with them before heading home. Checking out the course was beneficial and I'm glad I didn't go to Fenton.

On the way home I ducked onto the Grant's Trail to see if there were any good sights using the trail. There were not. Still, taking Grant's Trail gave me the chance to use the trail extension I have seen so often along 21 that runs up to Clydesdale Park. That is a handy bit of trail that keeps you off 21 and Green Park. It was fun too. Kind of winds it's way up to Mueller. From there I took Little Rock and Von Talge, etc. Total riding was about 1:50. To finish things, I toweled off the sweat and then cut the grass before settling in and watching Argentina beat Mexico in OT. A good game and I love the crowds at the World Cup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home