Monday, June 26, 2006

Maybe this newfangled concept of riding during the week has its benefits. A decent week of riding last week led up to Sunday's Webster Crit. Much of Saturday I wavered back and forth whether to race the Master's in addition to the 3/4's. On one hand, I could get extra racing under my belt and I need it based on recent performances. On the other hand, I risked getting blown out twice in one day. How's that for positive thinking.

Finally, I figured it was beneficial to try both races. Master's was the first race of the day at 10:30. Kind of late for a first race but that was fine with me. I didn't feel rushed in the morning and still got a nice warmup in before the race. That was aided even more by starting about 15 minutes late. It's not a bike race if it's not a little behind schedule. The wait was worth it though as there was apparently some last minute patching of pavement that made for a nicer course.

There was an impressive Master's turnout. Must have been 25 guys, at least. Even nicer was having five Sharks show up. There were the core group of favorites who did a good deal of work but everyone seemed to try and contribute. I even took a short-lived flyer. For the most part, though, I felt good during the race. My last lap positioning was typically poor but I went by a good number up the hill and kept reasonably close to the main men on the downhill as the pack really strung out. Walsh got 2nd, Brewer got 9th and I think I got 11th or 12th but I never could the find the results posted anywhere.

Buoyed by my decent work earlier I went ahead and registered for the 3/4's. There were a few races in between and I hung our for a while and slowly spun around the area. As the children's races began Glen, Rex and I headed down Lockwood. Rex wanted to check out The Hub real quick so they continued on while I turned left on Elm. I didn't want to risk missing the start but if they wanted to go on I wasn't going to stop them. At Elm and Big Bend I ducked into gas station to bypass the left hand turn light and continued on at a comfortable pace. I turned down Edgar, made the three turns and came face to face with everyone lined up to race and Buddy giving race instructions. I'd never missed a race start but this one was wayyy to close. When I saw everyone I thought to myself Glen and Rex were going to miss the race. I squeezed through the pack and took my place at the back of the pack and both of them were rolling up to the line as well. Lockwood must have been quite a bit shorter route back. I'm just glad I shortcut the stoplight or I could have easily missed the race.

My legs were sluggish for the second race. I hung in the race okay but was nothing more than pack fill. If the pace slowed I would move up some and then drift back. I would have liked to do more but my legs didn't have it and I could feel each time cresting the hill. It was odd because I felt decent going up but then there wasn't much acceleration going downhill. I would get up to speed but there was no snap. So, on the last lap the pace hotted up on the hill and I let most everyone go. I kept a good steady pace and came across the line off the back. I didn't see the point of killing myself to try and hold the tail of the pack and risk a final corner accident as everyone tried to sprint for 30th place. I placed 39th. Not a good placing but, for all intents, I finished with everyone and after the last couple weeks this was a real good day.

A few weeks ago, Fullerini and I were chatting about the breaking Operation Puerto doping scandal in Spain. Joe asked when I thought the names would come out. I confidently predicted a week before the Tour started. Lo and behold, El Pais breaks a story listing a number of riders mentioned in the cryptic notes of Dr. Fuentes. This thing has turned ugly in a big way. Fifteen Libery/Astana riders were mentioned. Among the names are Sevilla, Gutierrez (The Bull) was mentioned again, Vicioso, Serrano, Jaksche (?) , Heras, and biggest of all was speculation that Ullrich (Rudy's son) is tied in. They even dragged out documents showing a purported Tyler Hamilton doping schedule. Spanish riders refused to race the national championships as a protest. As of a couple hours ago, the Tour organizers have asked Astana to withdraw from the Tour and, if they don't, the Tour will take the case to the CAS. A giant mushroom cloud has begun to form over the pro peloton. The fallout is still to be determined but you have to wonder if the Tour will even happen. Lots of teams withdrew from the Tour in the wake of the '98 Festina affair. Will there be more rider protests? Who will be left standing when the smoke clears?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to update the dope-o-meter

10:51 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

At this point, it might be easier to create an "o-meter" of those who aren't (or haven't been busted for) doping!

I missed your bridging antics at the TNW.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Bridging antics at TNW? I wouldn't say I did much bridging. Just tried to stay closer to the front.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

I was speaking of the absence of Joe's bridging antics.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home